Electronics for 24v 450w motors

Here you can ask general questions about sim building, not related to the various hardware sections

Electronics for 24v 450w motors

Postby TripRodriguez » Fri 29. Aug 2014, 08:54

Hey guys!

I'm looking at three or four of these motors http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/united ... 0-rpm.html for my 3/4DOF project (coming soon!) which is going to be more or less following the built for fun "mini platform 3" plans.

I'm going to be using X-sim software so I want to find out what electronics to use from you guys. Cost is a major concern so bear that in mind. I've got the power supplies covered, I just need to know what kind of motor drivers/arduino etc. I should get.

Thanks for all the help, I look forward to posting pictures as soon as I get most of the parts and start the build =)

Also I'm getting married in almost exactly 36 hours.. *gulp*
TripRodriguez

Re: Electronics for 24v 450w motors

Postby sirnoname » Fri 29. Aug 2014, 11:24

Is this a good idea to use expensive electronic and cheaper DC motors instead of use AC motors with included electronic?
Ask tronicgr ...
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby tronicgr » Fri 29. Aug 2014, 19:46

Hurry up you have less that 24 hours to finish your project... after the wedding its too late :lol:

Sirnoname is right. You have to consider compatibility and expand ability of your simulator. If you limit it t only DC motors, you can use only curtain controllers. Then these controllers are only compatible with either Ian's software or x-sim... meaning you have to do hardware changes everytime you wish to switch from car racing for example to flight simulation (not that x-sim cannot do flight simulation as well).

Besides the software compatibility, there are many better option now instead DC motors.
-AC motors with almost same price range as the DC motors you choose...

-Or even real servomotors now.
See this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CMIPu3t7d0

Its a 75v /3A BLDC motor with integrated servo drive. I control it from my AMC1280USB motion controller, and it keeps track of the speed and position, and its almost impossible to stop it or alter its speed even in very low RPM speeds. Remember that this is a direct drive, not attached on gearbox!!!!! You can use it directly with no gearbox in Ian's DIY linear actuator for example... ;)

Thanks
Thanos
tronicgr

Postby TripRodriguez » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 05:06

Great info guys, can I get some more specifics? Please keep in mind I'm in the US and it seems like most of the stuff others on this site use has the cost more than doubled since I need it shipped to the US.

I really don't know much about this kind of stuff, so please link me to posts relevant to what I need to learn or whatever. Cost is a major consideration, but naturally I don't want to spend money and regret it! I will stretch my finances more to do it right, but I have to keep things within reason.

How about a budget for (3DOF) motors, power supplies/batteries, and electronics(including shipping to US), of say about $1,000 USD. I could pay a little more but I really shouldn't spend even this much so please try to keep things within reason.

The wedding went off without a hitch (except for me getting hitched!), my best friends and I did pretty much everything ourselves including the cooking, setup, and the clean up, so I'm exhausted but satisfied =)

I'm checking the link now and will try doing some research on AC motor setups but I really don't know what I'm looking for exactly.

Thanks!

Trip
TripRodriguez

Postby TripRodriguez » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 06:52

What I mainly need is a shopping list. I watched the video and it looked like an amazing option but I'm not sure what it would cost me. I tried searching ebay for 75V servomotors and saw a lot of stuff but I really don't know what I'm looking for.

I assume those are not one of the options similar in cost to the motors I was looking at, what AC motor options would be in the same price range? I need to be directed to enough info for me to figure out what to buy.

Thanks =)
TripRodriguez

Postby TripRodriguez » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 21:23

TronicGR I just joined your proboards site, I'll see you over there!
TripRodriguez

Postby tronicgr » Tue 2. Sep 2014, 20:08

Ok, the http://motionsim.freeforums.net/ is a small forum just for the AMC1280USB support, so I don't have to repeat myself over and over again and have all the information in one place.

The servomotor I used on the video is a little expensive for your budget. Each one costs $388 , and a power supply for three of them $440...

I'm not sure how you could build a reliable and strong 3DOF, with just $1000 budget... My 2DOF joyrider cost that much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVItAoPYUtI

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby TripRodriguez » Wed 3. Sep 2014, 04:53

tronicgr wrote:Ok, the http://motionsim.freeforums.net/ is a small forum just for the AMC1280USB support, so I don't have to repeat myself over and over again and have all the information in one place.

The servomotor I used on the video is a little expensive for your budget. Each one costs $388 , and a power supply for three of them $440...

I'm not sure how you could build a reliable and strong 3DOF, with just $1000 budget... My 2DOF joyrider cost that much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVItAoPYUtI

Thanos

I'm willing to pay for the three motors at $388.00 plus a power supply. This budget is a bit flexible and is ONLY for the motors and electronics, construction of the motion platform is not included in this.
TripRodriguez

Return to Motion simulator building Q&A