6dof motion simulator

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

6dof motion simulator

Postby vicpopo » Wed 1. Jan 2014, 23:42

NEW 6DOF PLATFORM

Design

Hi,

Since I finished the 2DOF for a friend , I was projecting to build a 4 DOF but as I got an Amc1280usb I decided to build a 6DOF. ;)

Link for the 2 dof : http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=293

So the simulator will got the following specifications.

Driving module : Tronicgr amc1280usb
Actuators : AC Gearmotors from SEW Eurodrive with MovitracB Inverters
Software : Xsim3 with 6DOF plugin from Sirnoname and Tronicgr

Edit : link to setup the 6dof plugin - http://motionsim.blogspot.com/2013/05/6dof-software-plugin-for-x-sim3-is.html

Motor specification : 0,25 kW Asynchronous Motor . Nominal rpm 1400
Gearbox : helical gear unit. Gear ratio : 105 - output torque at nominal motor rpm 190 Nm
Inverter : MovitracB mono-tri phases (input mono 220 V 50Hz or 60Hz output tri phases 220 V)

For the frame I will use (still in progress) Stainless steel round section and square section .
Round : diam 46 mm thickness 2 mm
Square : # 40mmx40mm thickness 2 mm

Inverters:

- the inverters have a particularity . They always can shut down your home electrical net because there are inside Capacitors which are used for the Electromagnety Compatibility ( CEM in french "Compatibilité Electro-Magnétique").These capacitors are grounded so when the current over come to the human protection (30mA) ,the disjonctor cut off the main current.
To avoid this you can make a shunt for this capacitors but only possible for the little power Inverters size0 .
This is easy to proceed .You just have to put 2 plastic cap supplied with the inverter to shunt the capacitors from the ground

plastic cap

Plastic cap

Before installation

Before

After installation

After

Electrical box

To put the inverter in the electrical box easily on the rail I used a frame on which I assembled the inverter and behind the braking resistor bw4 with 87,5 Ohms.This frame was provided with the inverters ( 20€ each).It's simple to use and the solution is very compact.

Inverter frame

Frame

The electrical bix is still in progress.As I was wanting that all electronic stuff stay watchable I used Plexiglas on the electrical box front side.

Box1

Box2

Amc1280usb

The simulator frame

Design 6dof

Design

The real frame is still in progress.

A view from the job yet made.
Attachments
Frame
vicpopo

Re: 6dof motion simulator

Postby yokoyoko » Thu 2. Jan 2014, 01:14

This is very cool! Looking forward to see your progress.
yokoyoko

Postby xa4123 » Fri 10. Jan 2014, 15:48

Hey,

Very cool.
I'm also in the process of making a 6dof motion platform with Thanos' AMC1280, but I'm still figuring out the right dimensions and workspace versus motor strength, possible g-forces, washout filter, etc ... Currently I'm trying to model the platform in OpenModelica, but not succesful so far.
Any chance you're willing to share your design and/or your insights in the different design parameters ?
Example question : short legs =>lower power for same torque , right ? But which consequences for workspace and g-forces ?

xa4
xa4123

Postby vicpopo » Fri 10. Jan 2014, 19:38

xa4123 wrote:Hey,

Very cool.
I'm also in the process of making a 6dof motion platform with Thanos' AMC1280, but I'm still figuring out the right dimensions and workspace versus motor strength, possible g-forces, washout filter, etc ... Currently I'm trying to model the platform in OpenModelica, but not succesful so far.
Any chance you're willing to share your design and/or your insights in the different design parameters ?
Example question : short legs =>lower power for same torque , right ? But which consequences for workspace and g-forces ?

xa4

Hi ,

I can share some information.You will find attached a design I thought with dimensions.It's based on my experience until now in simulators (building simulators , watching on internet working solutions , searching on forums , etc...) ,but not with a lot of mecanical calculations.
I will follow my step by step own methodic :
1 - according to my first design attached I will build my simulator with the avaibility to make adjustable the following dimensions:
A- the diameter from the frame where the motor are attached .I have to fix the the value for the diameter where the moving plateform is attached ( diam 425 mm in the drawing)
B - the distance between pair of motors will be adjustable ( three positions , 305 mm will the max
C - the high between both frame ( up moving and down fixed) with the legs.
D - the arm on the gear output shaft , here in the drawing with 80mm but I will make a arm with 2 positions (80mm and 100mm).I don't want long arm because for a car simulator I need short movements with short angular range (100°).For the same simulator for flight I will increase the angle 180 °.It's the reason why I have to choose a right diameter for the upper moving plateform where the legs are attached.So little is this diameter so little is the neccassary arm level and angular movement for a big tilt angle.I have to find the right value according to my motors power.For me the right value should be between in range diameter from 400 mm to 200 mm .

Helping me for all these tasks I will use before the 6dof plugin in simulation mode trying to adjust some values .

The drawing :

Design
vicpopo

Postby xa4123 » Wed 15. Jan 2014, 22:41

Hi vicpopo,

Thx very much for your reply. I find it interesting you make a distiction between a car simulation and a flight simulation...not quite sure what you mean with angular range - 100° for car simulation and 180° for flight simulation ? Is this the angular range of the motor axis ? You say you need short movements for car simulation ... does this mean more g-forces ?

Until the end of this month I won't have much time because of another project deadline. When I have some spare time and certainly early februari I will try to make a working model in OpenModelica and post the results in this forum. I think it will be interesting to see the correlation between different parameters like workspace, power, torque, payload .... for example I wanna find out how much extra power is needed for heavier payloads. I'm thinking of a stewart platform with dual seats.

Last question : your 3D model, did you make it in Solidworks or other CAD program ?

Good luck with the project.

Xa4
xa4123

Postby vicpopo » Thu 16. Jan 2014, 07:52

xa4123 wrote:Hi vicpopo,

Thx very much for your reply. I find it interesting you make a distiction between a car simulation and a flight simulation...not quite sure what you mean with angular range - 100° for car simulation and 180° for flight simulation ? Is this the angular range of the motor axis ? You say you need short movements for car simulation ... does this mean more g-forces ?

I would say :
Car simulator : I want more dynamics movement ,that means shortest angular gearbox output shaft range (100°).I will use the capability of the motors to run fast ( max rpm )
Flight simulator : I want more tilt angle for the platform , that means ( with the same arm level) more angular gearbox output shaft range (180°).And the motors didn't have to run to their max speed.

xa4123 wrote:Last question : your 3D model, did you make it in Solidworks or other CAD program ?

Xa4

Sketchup ;)
vicpopo

Postby Monaco85 » Sat 18. Jan 2014, 13:10

Very nice project. I'm very interessted because i work in SEW-Eurodrive headquater as an Testengineer :-)
If u have some questions with SEW komponents, maybe i can help you.
Monaco85
X-Sim Supporter

Postby DoctorD » Thu 13. Feb 2014, 10:55

Hiya Vicpopo :)

Love your sim!
What kind of cost are you looking at for the motors, gearboxes and drivers?
They look sexy :P

Great luck to you good sir.
DoctorD
DoctorD

Postby vicpopo » Thu 13. Feb 2014, 20:08

Hi ,

Can't say exactly because I have special discount ...

But for sure expensive, but very good quality ... ;)

If I couldn't have this discount I wouldn't build a 6 dof simulator or with cheaper products.
vicpopo

Postby vicpopo » Sun 16. Feb 2014, 01:19

Hi,

Some pics from my work.I'm building the electrical box and that works good , step by step .Not so complicated because I made once a 2dof and the wiring diagram is the same.
The amc1280usb is wired , finished!
But there are much more wires and that takes time to connect all stuff.I just pray that I connect all right because if there is a mistake what spagetti dish ! :lol:

Pics below :

Inverters

Box

Amc1280usb

Amc&VerteilerIFM

Inverter
vicpopo

Next

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress