2DOF AMC 1.6 pneumatic joyride simulator

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

2DOF AMC 1.6 pneumatic joyride simulator

Postby sniegavirs » Mon 15. Apr 2013, 19:23

This is my work on motion racing simulator that I started few months ago.

At first I bouht G27 wheel and started building moving part of the frame.
A bunch of aluminium pipes and welding should do!
Also tested it for comfortable driving..
I knew I wanted to make it pneumatic driven so I ordered a couple of pneumatic actuators 32mm diameter and 500mm stroke
and directional valves..
While I was playing with the steel, a friend of mine made Thanos created AMC 1.6 controller board..

When we did get the USB interface we were able to test the board it self. Had some issues with the processor but with help of this forum now the AMC works great.
I knew that along pneumatic actuators and directional valves I'll need some kind proportional valves that will controll the speed of the actuators by controlling air flow. I found one but it cost a lot, and because I wasn't sure that my plan will work I ordered only one.

Meanwhile my friend made a H-bridge for valve controlling. Both movement axis were separated in 3 signals - 1. one direction, 2. other direction 3. PWM that will be conneced with the proportional valve.

For feedback i'm using potensiometers from automotive throttle body.
When that proportional valve came in I started testing the simulator.
I found that user "prilad" made firmware were more suited for my AMC 1.6 pneumatic system.
So after loads of testing and finding the best settings my simulator was quite usable. Only thing that made me worry was that longitudal movement(braking/accelerating) was a bit vobbly because of the pneumatics, so I decided to place anotherone actuator to longitudal movement and result was a lot better. Vobblyness disapiered and movement was much better.
Now that I now it's working I ordered 3rd actuator and another 2 propotional valves. Then I'll have 3 actuators(2 for longitudal and 1 for lateral movement), 3 proportional valves(1 valve for each actuator because of it's limited air flow rate) and 2 directional valves(one for each movement longitudal and lateral)

Now I only have to wait 1 month while those valves and 1 actuator will be shipped to me.
sniegavirs

Re: 2DOF AMC 1.6 pneumatic joyride simulator

Postby sniegavirs » Sun 21. Apr 2013, 21:35

Updated with some pics and video!
sniegavirs

Postby Racerr87 » Mon 22. Apr 2013, 16:55

Looking good!

I do think you might need also a second actuator for the roll movement. Because it will require more power then your longitudinal movement if the seat is well balanced.
Racerr87

Postby sniegavirs » Mon 22. Apr 2013, 17:16

I think for the roll movement it will be enough with only one actuator because the seat frame is good balanced and roll movement has much less inertia than pitch movement. But will see.. In video for pitch movement there is only one actuator working. Second actuator is disconnected for now because I need second air flow proportion valve that I'm waiting to be shipped.
sniegavirs

Postby soraz » Wed 23. Apr 2014, 20:46

Congratulations for the seat

regards
soraz
X-Sim Supporter

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress