Open107v Motion Controller with touch LCD

AMC, H-Bridge projects etc.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

Open107v Motion Controller with touch LCD

Postby tronicgr » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 16:50

This project was able to be kickstarted after the kind donation of the open107v dev board from some x-sim members as listed in the following thread.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=306

Today I'll start with some basic stuff about it, describing how you can use the bootloader of the STM32F107 to backup existing firmware or update it with a new one. This is very important as otherwise you need to get extra hardware programmer and the procedure doing this will be 100 times more difficult unless you have experience with C++ toolchains or use the fairly more complicate flash software that comes with some hardware programmers.

First you have to connect the USB-Serial module that comes with the board, to the USART2 Port. This is the communication port that the bootloader is using.

Then you have to place the BOOT0 jumper in position 1

Then unplug the USB cable and plug it back again. The LCD screen should be white now.

Then follow the next steps, with the first step being to make sure you have the correct USB-serial driver up to date.

If you get the following message, press the reset button on the open107v and try again.

Choose "upload from device" and select a name for the existing firmware backup.

If the above steps where successful then you can try downloading back to device the firmware you just created for backup. The same procedure will be used for uploading new firmwares for motion control.

Before you start saying anything about the open source thing... yes it will be open source. The only thing is that the Attolic TrueStudio lite is limited for 32KB code size, unless you have $2500 laying around to spend in the full version :o http://www.atollic.com/index.php/pricing
http://www.atollic.com/index.php/truestudio/featurecomparison
Unless there is a need for bitmap or memory consuming code, 32KB should be enough. If needed later I'll try other compiler options but I'd like to stay away from linux system toolchains.

Thanos
tronicgr

Re: Open107v Motion Controller with touch LCD

Postby Turn » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 20:08

My prediction: this project will be a huge success.

I'm excited. These STM32 boards are the absolute future for our motion control needs, I think, and we're lucky you latched onto them. It is a great idea! And, BTW, I believe you've selected the best dev board available for the money, so good job with your research. I've searched and nothing touches it considering all its attachments, which is good for the kind of work you'll be doing.

Then, once you've got your code released, we'll be able to choose from a variety of cheaper STM32 boards containing only the functionality your code requires. Here's one I ordered a while ago for only $25 shipped!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103RBT6-Development-Board-W-2-8-TFT-Module-True-Color-Touch-Screen-Panel-/170782669105?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

I'm not suggesting we all go out and buy a STM32 (no, no...don't do that yet :) I did only because I've got my own stuff going on here.

So, Thanos, if there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Thank-you for the update!
Last edited by Turn on Tue 9. Oct 2012, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Turn

Postby yokoyoko » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 20:13

My prediction: this project will be a huge success.
-> agree

Really great work Thanos :!:
yokoyoko

Postby tronicgr » Tue 9. Oct 2012, 21:45

Thank you my friends... I try to keep the quality of the updates to the usual high standard... :D

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby motiondave » Wed 10. Oct 2012, 03:35

ok looks good so far, trying to get my head around the setup and other things, something about a $2500 price tag!
I was hoping for something simpler though to set up.
Still , I have donated to the cause, so I will stay put for the time being.
motiondave

Postby fooons » Wed 10. Oct 2012, 10:20

Hi,

That board really looks great! and the idea that the screen is tactile is exciting.

Sorry Thanos, the LCD is 3.2" isn't?

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for X-Simers.
fooons

Postby tronicgr » Thu 11. Oct 2012, 15:58

Yes, the screen is 3.2" and the resolution of the touch panel is 4000 X 4000 touch points!! Anything can be used for pointer!

Here I used the cap of a pen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uXFR-R-8FFo

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby John » Thu 11. Oct 2012, 18:20

Tronic,

thank you for the update and your effort in this project, do you have an idea how much work will be required before you could confirm it is suitable for our needs ?

Regards
John

Postby tronicgr » Thu 11. Oct 2012, 18:39

Well, I can't have the dev board with me at all times, so for most of the time I put together the basic libraries and code for peripherals. Certain tests need to be done on the actual dev board.

As soon I have enough material I'll have to do separate tests on the modules. LCD text/graphics/menu system, Serial/LAN-UDP protocols, ADC systems, PWM generation systems/or Quadrature encoder feedback, Math section routines... etc.

This is necessary to get a better idea of the performance of each peripheral module and make it easier for me to debug it. Then I'll have to join all parts into a complete solution.

Each subsystem test results will be posted here in detail along the source code. ;)

Thanos
tronicgr

Postby Turn » Thu 11. Oct 2012, 19:40

So.....Monday? :mrgreen:
Turn

Next

Return to Controllers and Drivers Projects