SCN5 / SCN6 Software Thread

AMC, H-Bridge projects etc.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

SCN5 / SCN6 Software Thread

Postby sirnoname » Tue 24. Apr 2012, 11:46

Using Dyadics SCN5 / SCN6 servo linear actuators with X-Sim³

Community adapter set for one SCN5 Adapter (order by mirai or here)

Hello,

I start this thread for the questions about how to use the SCN5 /SCN6 synaptrix plugin of x-sim.
Please do buy this starter sets directly from mirai factory outlet. They are cheap and we and mirai will support you with the fitting cables.
The actuators get full warranty and are the cheapest shipping solution you get. The link to the shop is in our X-Sim shop.

The actuators get full warranty and are the cheapest shipping solution you get.
For a better unterstanding: the SCN5 and SCN6 electronic control is the same, so I talk from now on only from SCN5.
NOTE: Questions about the hardware can be asked in the SCN5 hardware thread!
-click here to go to the hardware thread-

The plugin is ready usable installed in X-Sim3, you will find it if you start the X-Sim converter application and press the interface setup button. In the best case the SCN5 is completely autodetected if you have connected it to the serial port or the serial converter. The SCN will autocenter if you open the converter and will then be displayed in the interface setup. If it is not displayed you did something wrong and you have to read this thread carefully.

The plugin will detect any SCN5 or SCN6 actuator on any RS232/RS485 converter which is displayed in the comport section of the
windows device manager. It will also detect any SCN5/6 with different hardware ID's on one RS485 bus. This can be done by connecting them in a serial line. (=one converter for up to 16 SCNx, but this is not prefered and reduce the update rate dramatically).

But normaly you use one comport for one SCN5.

After you have started the X-Sim converter application there should be a SCN5 listed in the interface setup -> output table.
If not: check your hardware, visit the hardware thread, ask there your questions!

Now select in the plugin table the SCN5Serial entry and press the "Open setting" button.
You can change the hardware controls DTR and RTS and the delay time for "auto" mode interfaces.
Automode interfaces do not need DTR and RTS and the do not care the settings made.
Manual interfaces do not need the delaytime.
This three option are global for all comports and SCN5. You can not mix different automode and manual mode interfaces!
This setting window could be placed byside for later use, you should see all SCN5 modules in the combobox.

Change the SCN5 device ID if using only one RS485 converter
If you only own a single RS485 converter or USB device and like to try more than one SCN5, you are able to connect all SCN5 to the same bus system parallel. Before you do so, you have to change the device ID for each SCN5, so it will not response on a command of another SCN5. There are 16 device ID's possible to connect to one RS485 bus system. The SCN5 are delivered all with factory default values and device ID 0. This means you have to change a second SCN5 to a higher device ID number.
The x-sim SCN5 plugin dialog shows you the current device id and right you will find a box where you can insert the new ID. You are only able to change the ID, if this is the only SCN5 on the bus. Simple unplug the other ones at this comport and start x-sim again. Now you should only see one SCN5 available on this comport. After you have changed the device ID restart the aplication and insure the result is correct.
Please note: If you use more than one SCN5 on one comport the update rate will be devided by the number of scn5 connected. So if you have one SCN5 connected and reach 150 outputs/second (normal) and you attach a second one, you only have 75 output/second left. If you reduce this output/seconds you will notice this in the smoothness. (not in lag)

Step by step X-Sim converter configuration:
1. Insure SCN5 is detected and displayed
2. Start the X-Sim extractor application and select the test plugin.
3. let move the test slider 21 in auto mode
4. press "try connect" button

5. go to the math setup and insert a axis
6. insert a gforce with effect 21 and automode
7. now there must be drawn a sawtooth line

8. go to ouput setup and to Synaptrix IO
7. choose axis and a SCN5 as direct output
9. press the start button

Renaming SCN5:
The SCN5 comes with serialnumber as name, but you can give them better names. This is helfully, if you share your profile, so other know what they should exchange with this axis.

Enable the rename checkbox and enter a valid non doubled name in the edit box, else the serialnumber will displayed again.

Center SCN5 after game has stopped:
Go to the program setup and enable the center option. Choose 2 seconds is enough.

Changing speed:
The sliders will tell you the current settings, you can change in realtime while moving.
Use also the smoothness addon of the g-force math plugin to reduce bad hard movements.

Tips if the SCN5 is not detected

If you are using USB devices such as USB<->RS232 or USB<->RS485 adapters:
Download the latest drivers for that chip from the internet that is used in your adapter. This might be a FTDI chip or a profilic chip. Both need the latest drivers, FTDI have to change the standard response speed to "1" and the printer support must be enabled in the advanced driver setup (device manager->comport xy->advanced).

Go to the hardware thread and compare the five point compare list, if your adapter fullfill the needs and the setup would be correct to reduce the possible combinations of errors you could have with the plugin.
If your adapter seems not to work, you can change into a step by step debugmode, which will tell you what happens on the X-Sim converter startup. If there would be a response but some other error occours, you are able to see here any success.
Open registry editor and go to
HotkeyLocalMachine/Software/X-Sim/Force-Profiler2/Interface-Plugins/SCN5Serial
(64bit Windows: HKLM/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/X-Sim/Force-Profiler2/Interface-Plugins/SCN5Serial)
and make a Reg_SZ value with value 1. (0 to disable it again)
After this you will be noticed step by step about every comport detection with a message box.
If there is no response after a "SCN5 detection try", you don't get any response.
You can also compare the serial connection with the "free serial monitor".
http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/
If here comes no response you have to got to the hardware thread!
You can see highlighted the response of a SCN5 actuator. If the receiving area is blank, you do not get any response. If there are the same lines as in the sending box, your RS485 converter produce echos which are not aczeptable for this plugin (timing). A echo you can see if there are some lines equal to the sended lines, this is not possible. (compare full line)
Make screenshots or copy paste the box in a text file to post it here.

Now we can discuss ...
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Re: SCN5 / SCN6 Software Thread

Postby leandroter7 » Tue 24. Apr 2012, 23:31

Hello friends

I heard SCN-6 actuators, are missing the ID's everytime when restart. I ask Nathan form Mirai, regarding this issue, and have his reply

[i][i]"The actuator serial number does not change. However, I think there may be an issue in that the serial numbers for SCN6 actuators have rolled over to a higher number and now the old x-sim software does not recognize them properly. This is a problem with x-sim, not with the SCN6. This may be similar to the “Y2K” problem where old computer code did not properly recognize the year “00” or “2000”.

Perhaps you can discuss with the creators of x-sim."
[/i][/i]

Thanks and regards,
Nathan

Nathan Scott, P.Eng.
Mirai Inter-Tech

It's sounds like a update on Plug-in. Any chance to fix it?

Best regards

Leandro
leandroter7

Postby sirnoname » Tue 24. Apr 2012, 23:48

Only if there is a tester with a scn6 and this issue.
If so, open a bug tracker and it will be fixed (perhaps you write there the serail numbers and the suggestion of a rollover).
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby leandroter7 » Tue 24. Apr 2012, 23:54

sirnoname wrote:Only if there is a tester with a scn6 and this issue.
If so, open a bug tracker and it will be fixed (perhaps you write there the serail numbers and the suggestion of a rollover).

Ok, i will receive some actuators and lets go if this will happens.

Thank's for fast reply

Regards
leandroter7

Postby museumsteve » Mon 12. Nov 2012, 17:14

Can someone say what 'Homing Position' is in x-sim 3? :)
museumsteve
X-Sim Supporter

Postby sirnoname » Sun 9. Jun 2013, 20:07

Added SCN6 wiring informations.
Do work great with that new SCN6 devices :)
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby mino74 » Fri 1. Nov 2013, 20:42

HI
now i am trying to plugin my two scn5 SN A3002168 F+G PNP SN A3002169 F+G PNP

I use devantech USB-RS485 when i open converter and clic on interface setting nothing and nothing no snc5 found and the two devantech no green or red light so please help me on this matter

regards
mino74
X-Sim Supporter

Postby sirnoname » Fri 1. Nov 2013, 21:32

enable the debug mode and tell me which are the last messages ...
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby mino74 » Sat 2. Nov 2013, 12:25

hello
how to reach the debug mode and i read on this thread that i should wire only two cables unstead of three in the actuator is that ok ?
:oops:
mino74
X-Sim Supporter

Postby sirnoname » Sat 2. Nov 2013, 12:30

For debug mode: read the first post, with pictures!
For wiring: yes, if the adapter need 5V and GND from SCN5 it is 4 wire
sirnoname
Site Admin

Next

Return to Controllers and Drivers Projects