Can I use x-sim for any RS485 compatible actuator?

Topics and questions about actuators etc.

Can I use x-sim for any RS485 compatible actuator?

Postby nclabs » Mon 13. May 2013, 16:59

Just like the subject, can I use any RS485 compatible actuators? I'm planning to take a look around for my next simulator (I promise that I will show you when it's done), but I'm really happy of x-sim software, and I was wondering if I can use it with any other actuator. Thanks.
nclabs
X-Sim Supporter

Re: Can I use x-sim for any RS485 compatible actuator?

Postby sirnoname » Tue 14. May 2013, 00:04

If you can write hardware plugins in C++ -> yes.
Uso is limited. It is unidirectional and cannot handle actuators which need to send back values.
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby nclabs » Tue 14. May 2013, 00:31

Thanks for the answer, sirnoname, so you are saying to me that if I wire my non-scn5 actuator just like my scn5 nothing will happen? I was sure that a input signal was enough to move any actuator! Am I wrong?
nclabs
X-Sim Supporter

Postby sirnoname » Tue 14. May 2013, 00:48

The SCN5 is a complex bidirectional interface and does not fit to any other RS485 communication.
It is like you try to wire USB to RS232 with cables.
Other actuators may go into your description of an easy interfacing but not SCN5.
You have to study the manual of every actuator if a simple signal from USO will fit the requirements.
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby nclabs » Tue 14. May 2013, 08:41

sirnoname wrote:The SCN5 is a complex bidirectional interface and does not fit to any other RS485 communication.
It is like you try to wire USB to RS232 with cables.
Other actuators may go into your description of an easy interfacing but not SCN5.
You have to study the manual of every actuator if a simple signal from USO will fit the requirements.

Dude, maybe you just saved me from spend a lot of bucks for trying a new way to move my sim. The next week, here in Italy there will be the Electric Motion Exibition, do you think there are any chances that exist some actuator with the exact specification of an SCN5? Or, maybe, do you have some advanced specification of the SCN5 with all the hardcore stuff, like bidirectional, etc etc. Sorry but it's still hard to understand this field for me, I just got into it!
nclabs
X-Sim Supporter

Postby sirnoname » Tue 14. May 2013, 09:18

If I say "patented" you know how many other companies will use SCN5 protokoll :)
The name of the interface is "termibus".
It is your knowlege to write a new plugin for actuator xy -or- find someone who write it for you. That take about 1 day to write such a small peace of code. This are only a few lines of code.
What is your problem to buy real SCN5 directly from the outlet? You will not get cheaper stepper actuators.
There was last month a very high discount in this store. And this discounts do repeat from time to time. You will worldwide not find any stepper actuators that have nearly the same setup.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby nclabs » Tue 14. May 2013, 09:42

I'm not really comfortable with coding, I'm a graphic guy, but I'm not scared to learn new things, I like challenges. If you say that will be few line of code I might try in the near future. However it's not for the cost that I want an alternative to SCN, it's more like specs, I mean that we need a stronger and faster actuator. I know that there are the SCN6 but for the 40+ kg of strenght there are just 200 mm/s of speed. It might be enough but we don't know yet, so I want to copy my SCN5 (with 400 mm/s but with only 10 kg force) but much stronger. It might be useful some D-Box like actuator, with short stroke (4 cm), big force (100 + kg) and big speed (no known spec), things not suitable to SCN. I'm open to any of you advice. Thank you for your support!

PS: now I'm reading everything about termibus!
nclabs
X-Sim Supporter

Postby sirnoname » Tue 14. May 2013, 10:34

You can use inverter AC motors which should be cheaper than such actuators you are searching for.
Most simbuilders use them. Interfaces and plugins are ready.
I think thanos has a overview and pricelist ...
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby nclabs » Tue 14. May 2013, 13:03

I don't like the kind of movement AC motor give back, maybe it's just a lack of knoledge that I have, but watching all kind of videos online I'm quite sure that it's not the kind of shaking I want. My goal (one of them) it's to reach such a high speed of the movement that can simulate quite well the vibration of a vibrating system like *. I don't know if is it possible and for that reason I wanted to watch what producers can offer at that exibition, but if some extra code is needed is a little bit too complicated for me, right now.
nclabs
X-Sim Supporter

Postby motiondave » Tue 14. May 2013, 15:02

Use these control boards http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1393
and these motors http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-d ... orque.html with a lever of 50mm or more.
They snap as fast as SCN5, but more fluid in motion than actuators
Fine vibration is excellent.
motiondave

Next

Return to Actuators