A new android app for all X-Sim users

News about the X-Sim software, forum & website or other X-Sim related news

A new android app for all X-Sim users

Postby sirnoname » Tue 24. Dec 2013, 12:05

ThaParser is proud to present us a new converter application.
He had the idea to make a real converter application for handy and small computers.
If you like the app, press the thanks button!
For a detailed manual please read the following instruction ..................

As first step he present us a absolutely perfect integrated converter application for android. It is a dashboard app for your simulator with easy intallation.
It is tested with Nexus 4 (Android 4.4), Bluestacks and AndroidX86 (Houdini ARM Emulator from Intel).
As far I got informations a Apple solution is available, perhaps thaparser tell us something more in the below comments.

Installation:
Scan the QR code with your smartphone, you will get to a browser which will download the apk file for you. If you do not know how to scan a QR code you can also press this lame link to download the apk in your mobile browser like firefox or chrome. In the drawer you can touch the file and install it. For the installation you must enable (if not already) the installation from 3rd parties in the android smartphone menu as shown in the next picture (settings button on home screen).
After you install the app you start your X-Sim Extractor on your desktop computer. If you are a newcomer follow our installation guide for the extractor: Link .You need to login with your smartphone to your local WLAN if not already done. The app will register itself at the running extractor as a new found converter. You can run as many converter applications as you like. There will be a popup that will ask you to set this converter application as first converter application. If you do only use X-Sim for this gauge application you can answer with yes.
If you have another converter running for your simulator you press no and accept the next question with yes.
In the first case you have the converter IP in the main dialog, in the second case you have the simulator converter in the main dialog and the android xSimGauge converter in the cluster dialog of the extractor.
After this you can simple start your game and the app should display you ingame gauge information.

If this fails:
In the rarely case you do not get the popup in the X-Sim Extractor application, you see your smartphone IP address in the running android xSimGauges app on the bottom area. Insert this IP address in the cluster dialog or, if using only one converter, in the main dialog. Try the windows "ping" command to test your WLAN connection from the PC side to the smartphone. If this does not work your router does not support communication between WLAN devices and LAN devices. Sometimes you can enable this again in the router.

If you like this app, please feel free to let here a test report (yes it work - I have found a problem etc.) and thank with the thumbs up button in one of the below posts of thaparser (do not vote my post, use the below thanks button).
Give some response if you like to see more of this stuff.

A big thanks goes to theparser!

Here is a direct developer link where betas can be shared: Dropbox

Some notice for programmers:
You see with this app a solution to use the native X-Sim network transfere. It will additionally make a broadcast to register at the X-Sim Extractor as a application that like to get data. There is no need for IP entries or setup. This is available for X-Sim version higher than 3.0.0.9. Another option in this app is using the ingame race detection for additional display.
Feel free to make your own apps with this informations, ask thaparser for help if needed.

For more Android and Apple application which use OBD2 car analyse interface you can go here: Link

Some legal notice: We are not responsibe for malfunctions, you install the app at you own risk. We have tested the app and scanned it for virus. However this is not a https (not a certified google) server.
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Re: A new android app for all X-Sim users

Postby thaparser » Wed 22. Jan 2014, 23:53

Thanks sirnoname!

As already mentioned, please leave here your comments, issues you may have, requests for improvements, additions, etc.
I'll do as much as possible to answer your requests so watch for the Dropbox area for updates.

For those using an iOS device, if you have it jailbroken zoom and scan the image below using a QR scanner app:
(functionally identical to the one for Android).

A few notes:
* the app will try to automatically connect to the Extractor when it is started. A re-connection may be 'forced' by pushing the game controller button (top-right) on main screen.
* the IP address of the device is reported as floating text upon pressing the 'game controller' button (top-right). The same button is used for 'checkpoints' that would reset max RPM and speed when changing cars/games.
* there is Facebook integration, disabled by default so you won't get annoyed. It can be enabled via the Help ('?') screen (top-left button on main screen). Units set-up (metric/imperial) is also available there.
* an option to adapt the speed and travel computation for games that report speed as m/s (games like EuroTruck) is present on the settings Help/About page. It can be enabled/disabled in the 'help/about' screen (top-left button). Be sure to disable it (set to 'off') when playing games that report speed as kph or mph (default is off).
* statistics are available as well but are only saved if you set a checkpoint after racing (push the game controller button after you have finished playing - top-right on main screen). It also estimates the distance and time raced to give you an idea of how much fun you have ;-)
* the gauges (main screen) will turn red while driving as follows: speed text turns red when close to max speed (auto-adapted for each session based on telemetry info); rev counter text background turns red when close to max revs to assist you with gear changes (auto-adapted for each session based on telemetry info). In both cases, for this to be most efficient you should use checkpoints if driving with different cars (push game controller button (off/on) between races when changing cars).
* achievements for time raced, distance raced and 'perfect' gear changes (check the help/about/options section - top-left button; these are kept only on your device);
* RPM analysis is displayed divided by 10 (easier to read for whoever is interested) and is considered two-fold: for 'perfect' shift (lits green) and over-rev (lits red), still adaptive for each race/car via the checkpoint button (top-right).
* Facebook integration means that the app has its own Facebook page

Off the top of my head that's all relevant for now.
** Enjoy and let us know what you think!
Last edited by thaparser on Fri 9. May 2014, 16:47, edited 6 times in total.
thaparser
X-Sim Supporter

Postby st3al » Mon 17. Feb 2014, 04:08

Hello! Thanks for this great app! I've tested it with my Motorola Defy running CM10 (4.1.2). Works great with rFactor and Grid 2. With Euro Truck Simulator it seems to be a problem related to speed, the displayed speed is lower than the in-game speed. Maybe I need a physics mod. The UI doesn't fit my screen at all, the gear overlaps with the word "gear", the same happens with temperature and force.

Is it possible to hide some parameters? While i'm playing ETS2 I don't mind about current position and lap :mrgreen:

Best Regards
st3al

Postby thaparser » Mon 24. Feb 2014, 11:15

st3al wrote:Hello! Thanks for this great app! I've tested it with my Motorola Defy running CM10 (4.1.2). Works great with rFactor and Grid 2. With Euro Truck Simulator it seems to be a problem related to speed, the displayed speed is lower than the in-game speed. Maybe I need a physics mod. The UI doesn't fit my screen at all, the gear overlaps with the word "gear", the same happens with temperature and force.

Is it possible to hide some parameters? While i'm playing ETS2 I don't mind about current position and lap :mrgreen:

Best Regards

hi st3al,
I'll try to find the game and check what happens there. do you use imperial or metric settings for speed (ingame and in app)?
I'll get back to you as soon as I have news.
cheers!
thaparser
X-Sim Supporter

Postby thaparser » Mon 24. Feb 2014, 15:16

st3al wrote:Works great with rFactor and Grid 2. With Euro Truck Simulator it seems to be a problem related to speed, the displayed speed is lower than the in-game speed. Maybe I need a physics mod.

as st3al mentioned earlier and provided the reference information, the game exports speed gauges information in m/s (confirmed here: https://github.com/nlhans/ets2-sdk-plugin also confirmed while testing the game with the x-sim converter using the recommended plugin).
LFS and other games report user friendly/readable information for gauge/dashboard data (e.g. km/h values).
however, if there are many more games that need this conversion let me know. otherwise it seems that this game needs its own plugin for proper dashboard/telemetry data.

cheers
thaparser
X-Sim Supporter

Postby sirnoname » Mon 24. Feb 2014, 16:08

Is this a game problem or do the plugin output the wrong value on every compatible game?
If a answer is correct or did help you for a solution, please use the solve button.
sirnoname
Site Admin

Postby thaparser » Mon 24. Feb 2014, 17:55

sirnoname wrote:Is this a game problem or do the plugin output the wrong value on every compatible game?

for the moment I'd say it is a game problem as the same plugin is used with rFactor with no issues (per info from st3al earlier).
also, the SDK states clearly that speed information is provided as m/s instead of km/h.
thaparser
X-Sim Supporter

Postby thaparser » Thu 27. Feb 2014, 16:02

I've added an option to adapt the speed and travel computation for games that report speed as m/s (games like EuroTruck). It can be enabled/disabled in the 'help/about' screen (top-left button). Be sure to disable it (set to 'off') when playing games that report speed as kph or mph (default is off).
Android build is available here
iOS build for jailbroken devices is available here

Note that on this 'beta' release, the IP address of the device is reported as floating text upon pressing the 'game controller' button (top-right).
The same button is used for 'checkpoints' that would reset max RPM and speed when changing cars/games but now you only need to press it once.
The app will connect to the Extractor automatically upon starting. A re-connection can be done at any time using the 'game controller' button (top-right).

Have fun!
thaparser
X-Sim Supporter

Postby thaparser » Mon 3. Mar 2014, 22:01

Fixed UI scramble on certain occasions now as data checks are in place.

thaparser wrote:I've added an option to adapt the speed and travel computation for games that report speed as m/s (games like EuroTruck). It can be enabled/disabled in the 'help/about' screen (top-left button). Be sure to disable it (set to 'off') when playing games that report speed as kph or mph (default is off).

Note that from this release onward, the IP address of the device is reported as floating text upon pressing the 'game controller' button (top-right).
The same button is used for 'checkpoints' that would reset max RPM and speed when changing cars/games but now you only need to press it once.
The app will connect to the Extractor automatically upon starting. A re-connection can be done at any time using the 'game controller' button (top-right).

cheers!
thaparser
X-Sim Supporter

Postby thaparser » Fri 7. Mar 2014, 14:17

thaparser
X-Sim Supporter

Next

Return to NEWS