2DOF racing simulator

Running simulator build projects.
Please use the image gallery for your pictures, a short tutorial can be found here.
The first image in the first post will be shown in the project gallery.

2DOF racing simulator

Postby Scootaah129 » Wed 9. Oct 2019, 12:34

Hi all,

Couple of years ago i planned on starting a simulator build, bought a couple of parts but didnt really start with it. Last sunday (06-10-2019) i thought it was the right time to start the build.

Not really designed anything upfront and just started with the build. Decided that if i find something that isnt correct i just cut it out and start over with that bit.

Its a steel frame with an old Kirkey seat I had laying around (our family does racing so that makes sourcing parts easier, same for creating the frame). Will try to update the topic as good as possible. Might have some questions in the future hope you guys can help me out :D
Last edited by Scootaah129 on Wed 9. Oct 2019, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Scootaah129

Re: 2DOF racing simulator

Postby Scootaah129 » Wed 9. Oct 2019, 12:39

06-10-2019 Start of the frame. I had an old slider rails from i think a Renault Clio because i wanted the seat to be able to move. I am quite tall so i thought this would makes it easier to get in and out of the seat. Also made a start on the steering wheel base that i wanted to be able to adjust in height. Its a tube in a tube with an bolt that hold the tube in place.
Attachments
Scootaah129

Postby Scootaah129 » Wed 9. Oct 2019, 12:41

08-10-2019, second day on the frame which i spent on making a support for the pedals. The wheels and pedals are a Logitec G27 steering wheel. Not sure yet on how i want to adjust the height of the pedals.
Attachments
Scootaah129

Postby Scootaah129 » Wed 9. Oct 2019, 12:47

09-10-2019, 3rd day on the frame. I started with the drive shaft mounting on the frame. Decided to make it heavy duty so it would defenately last. 2 thick pieces of metal drilled with holes to mount the drive shaft. The red'ish plate will have the drive shaft joint bolted on. Deciced to make it this way so i am able to unbolt the top frame just in case. In on the pictures you can see the start of the bottom frame which will have the drive shaft welded on to. Hopefully in the next update the frame is on moving on the drive shaft joint.
Attachments
Scootaah129

Postby Scootaah129 » Mon 14. Oct 2019, 14:43

Some more evenings spend on the build. lower frame has support bars for the joint that moves the frame. wormgear engines also made appeareance on the build :) Same for link bars between the engine and frame. Just used some rod ends that we use on the race cars to keep things simple and always have spares.
Attachments
Scootaah129

Postby Scootaah129 » Mon 14. Oct 2019, 14:43

Yesterday worked on the mounting for the pot meters. Not sure if this is the best way. might change it in the future. It is starting to look like something now. With some luck might get some motion in it somewhere this week. Going to move the pololu jrk's nearer to the wormgear motors to have shorter jump wires to the pot meter.
Attachments
Scootaah129

Postby Scootaah129 » Wed 16. Oct 2019, 10:42

The pot meter mountings were not correct as i stated in previous post. the M12 threaded rod milled it down and taped M6 thread on it so it can hold a connecting nut. I think the build is almost ready to have a test run with a pc connected to it. Need to invest some time in installing software and making a basic profile!
Attachments
Scootaah129

Return to Motion simulator Projects in progress